This is a pair of rare illustrated mimeographed books on agriculture, written for the Agricultural School, active on the premises of the DP camp Spittal, with Maks Osojnik being one of the tutors. The school was active from 1945 until 1949, when most of the students migrated abroad. The two year agricultural program in the DP camp was obligatory for all the youths, who did not attend the gymnasium with a goal to make skillful farmers from them.
The DP camp near the town Spittal, in Carinthia, Austria, was founded by the British in the summer of 1945. The barracks, built by the German POWs, were meant to house the refugees and exiles from Yugoslavia, mostly from Slovenia. Most of the adult people in the camp were escaping the newly founded Yugoslavia as political or religious refugees or as WWII collaborators avoiding the prison or death penalty in their homeland. In the next years they were moved overseas, mainly to Argentina, and also to Canada, United States and other countries.
There were about 5000 persons living in the camp, among them approximately 800 school children.
Literature on the Slovenian refugee press in Austrian DP camps (Arnež 1999, p. 283; Švent p. 186) only mentions this pair of titles with a Spittal 1948 imprint and a running numeration 98 pp., which is possibly a second edition.
Only one example of both titles from 1947 is recorded in libraries (National and University Library of Ljubljana). Worldcat does not list any examples of the 1948 editions mentioned in the literature.
References: OCLC 449346989. Cf. Janez A. Arnež, Slovenski tisk v begunskih taboriščih v Avstriji 1945-1949, Ljubljana-Washington 1999; Rozina Švent, Slovenski begunci v Avstriji (1945–1950), 2007.