An unusual large broadside in German language with data visualization was made by a French cartographer Constant Desjardins (1787 – 1876) in Vienna. The fan-shaped chart represents the population and size of various countries in the world, positioned next to each-other for comparison.
The inner circle of the fan is divided in the continents: Africa, Europe, Asia and Oceania and America. The colours corresponding to these sections are again showcased in the chart in the lower part, which includes the number of the inhabitants, the size of the country and the density of the population on a square kilometer.
In this chart in the lower margin also Australia and North and South Pole, which are not represented in the upper part, appear.
The lines in the fan visually represent the data given in the lower part. In the outer rim the grey lines show the size of the country and the colour ones the number of inhabitants. The black lines on the inner line show the density of the population.
The outer margin of the fan is ornated with various flags and cockades, which do not always correspond to the names of the countries below. In the right side of the print Desjardins offered an explanation, that he used various other flags for the countries, which did not have their own yet, possibly for a decorative reason. Each replacement is accompanied with the correct name of the country written above.
The map is very rare and we could not find any institutional copies.
Later in 1842, Desjardins published another version of this map, with more prominently represented flags of the world under the title Vergleichstabelle def Flächen und der absoluten und relativen Bevölkerung der Staaten der Welt.
Claude Constant Desjardins
Constant Desjardins was an educator, traveler and a map-maker, who specialized in early didactic maps with data visualization.
He was born in Strasbourg and later lived and worked in Munich, Vienna, Serbia and Hungary. Between 1826–1831 Desjardins was the first director of the newly founded Lyceum for Greek students, which was founded in Munich by Ludwig I of Bavaria.