This rare pamphlet with highly decorative orientalist wrappers (here unfortunately slightly damaged by water-staining) was printed in Berlin in Ottoman language in the time, when the famous artefacts and architectural elements from the relatively newly discovered archeological site in Pergamon, in today’s Turkey, were exhibited in Berlin. The maps and drawings represent the position of the archeological findings and the Pergamon Altar.
The excavation of the monumental buildings from the 2nd and 3rd century BC on the west coast of Anatolia began in the 1870s by the German archeologists, who sent samples to Berlin for analysis. It was the new director of the department of ancient sculpture of the Berlin Royal Museum Alexander Conze, who recognized the extreme value of the artefacts and had larger pieces, including the famous Pergamon Altar, and had them transported to Berlin.
With the permission of the Ottoman government these large architectonical pieces and sculptures were exhibited in the first Pergamon Museum, built between 1897 and 1899 and official opened by the emperor William II on December 18th, 1901.
The old museum was replaced by a larger building in 1907, which today remains one of the most popular museums in the world.
Worldcat only lists one institutional example (Bavarian State Librara).
References: OCLC 162449575. ÖZEGE; 16597.
There are no reviews yet.