This unusual broadside in Polish language was printed in Üsküdar, Istanbul, in 1856 and announces the discharging of the Sultan’s Division of Cossacks by Władysław Stanisław Zamoyski.
The Cossacks Division, in the service of the Ottoman Sultan, was an unusual army formation sponsored by the British and a part of the Ottoman army, which existed only between the autumn of 1855 and end of July of 1856 in the Ottoman Empire, during the Crimean War, and never fought a battle.
The division was founded by a Polish political monarchist unofficial organization in exile called Hotel Lambert, named after a mansion in Paris, owed by a Polish prince
Adam Jerzy Czartoryski. This organization or salon believed that cooperation with the Ottoman Empire and Britain would bring to the fall of Russia and consequential re-establishment of the old borders of the Kingdom of Poland (Congress Kingdom), which was in 1832 incorporated into Russia.
The division consisted of circa 1500 soldiers of mostly Polish origins, who were named by the British, who financially supported them, as the Cossacks to avoid additional political misunderstandings. The leader of the division was count Władysław Stanisław Zamoyski (1803–1868), an influential Polish nobleman and general.
The Sultan’s Division of Cossacks was dissolved after the end of the Crimean War with this announcement.
We could only find two institutional copies (Polish National Library &
Paryż – Biblioteka Polska w Paryżu (Bibliothèque Polonaise de Paris) (OCLC 830286340)).