A rare publication, issued by the General Directorate of Hajj at the Ministry of Finance and National Economy of Saudi Arabia in 1957 describes and depicts in details the expansion of the Great Mosque of Mecca and modernization of the city.
This famous project, fist after the Ottoman period, was started in 1955 and was not finished until 1973. The publication represents the construction of the new parts of the Mosque, portraits of people involved, architects, engineers, hills and landscape before and during the construction, and also the constructions of houses, villas, roads, signs, etc.
Special chapters are dedicated to Jedda, with its newly built modern airport, hotels, governmental buildings, and to famous pilgrims, who visited Mecca in 1375 (AH, 1956 AD).
The last chapter lists the new constructions made for the pilgrims in the past year.
The publication is very rare. We could not find any examples on Worldcat.